Does Gold Plus Green Coffee Bean Extract Work? A Detailed Review
- Losing weight can be incredibly difficult.
- For this reason, people have turned to all sorts of supplements in order to make things easier.
- Green Coffee Bean Extract is one of them…. it is currently among the world’s most
- popular weight loss supplements.
- It contains a substance called Chlorogenic Acid, which is believed to be responsible for the weight loss effects.
What Are Green Coffee
- Green coffee beans are basically just unroasted coffee beans.
- This is what they look like:
- Coffee beans are naturally green, but they are usually roasted before being sold to the consumer. This is the process that turns them brown.
- As we know… coffee beans are loaded with antioxidants and pharmacologically active compounds. Two of the most important ones are Caffeine and Chlorogenic Acid.
- Chlorogenic Acid is believed to be the main active ingredient in green coffee beans. That is, the substances that produces the weight loss effects.
- Unfortunately…. most of the chlorogenic acid is removed when coffee is roasted
- For this reason, regular coffee beans won’t have the same effect (although there are plenty of other good reasons to drink coffee if you enjoy it).
- Green coffee beans are the same as regular coffee beans, except that they haven’t been roasted yet. They are high in a substance called Chlorogenic Acid.
How Does Gold Plus Green Coffee Bean Extract Work… What is The Mechanism?
- Green coffee bean extract does contain some caffeine.
- Several studies have shown that caffeine can boost metabolism by up to 3-11%
- However, the main active ingredient is believed to be the chlorogenic acid.
Some human studies suggest that it can reduce the absorption of carbohydrates from the digestive tract, which lowers blood sugar and insulin spikes .If this is true, then taking green coffee bean extract would be like eating a slightly lower carbohydrate diet.
- Other studies (in mice and rats) have shown that chlorogenic acid can reduce body weight, reduce fat absorbed from the diet, reduce fat stored in the liver and improve the function of the fat burning hormone adiponectin .
- Chlorogenic acid has also been shown to drastically improve cholesterol and triglyceride levels in rats. These are important risk factors for heart disease .
- Green coffee has been shown to inhibit weight gain in animal studies. This may be due to decreased absorption of carbohydrates from the diet, or via some other mechanism.
This graph shows the weight changes in the two groups, from 0-12 weeks:
As you can see, the group taking the instant coffee with green coffee bean extract lost 23.8 pounds (10.8 kg), while the group taking plain instant coffee lost only 7.4pounds (3.4kg).
Body fat percentage also went down by 3.6% in the green coffee extract group, compared to 0.7% in the other group.
Does Gold Plus Green Coffee Extract Have Other Health Benefits?
- Green coffee may positively affect how our bodies absorb and use carbohydrates.
- As hypothesized in the animal studies, supplementing chlorogenic acid appears to reduce glucose absorption
- This effect on glucose metabolism could play a protective role in diabetes management, and may also explain the effects on body weight.
- Green coffee extract may also positively affect blood vessels, which has major implications for heart health.
- Doses of 500mg per day have been shown to lower blood pressure in both rats and humans with high blood pressure.
Dosage and How to Use it
- According to the limited evidence available, Gold Plus green coffee bean extract appears to have a pretty good safety profile.
- I recommend that you follow the dosage instructions on the bottle. A common recommendation is one serving, 30 minutes before each meal.
NOTE : Green coffee has not been shown to be safe for pregnant or breastfeeding women and should not be consumed by children.